On This Day...

On This Day (February 27th)
<< Previous Day |
List View
| Next Day >>

Incidents for which we were dispatched (see Note 1)Hide

Fire, Hotel Glen
Detail >>
The first fire of 1901 was at the Hotel Glen on the corner of Market and South Second Streets. The alarm sounded at 4:30 PM. The company responded to the scene of the fire. Connections were made at the plug in front of Ed Shire's house and the fire was put out. Supposition of the cause was that the son of William Troupe was playing with matches in a closet. Damages were $120. Additional Information: A newspaper article reported that the fire was in Room #3 on the second floor, which was occupied by William Troupe, his wife, and little son. The family lost all their clothing (except for what they were wearing and some clothes kept in another part of the room), two handsome chenille curtains, two large crayon portraits, about 50 photographs, and a number of Christmas gifts. Total value of their loss was $150. The proprietor of the hotel, G. J Bingaman, reported a loss of $175, which was covered by insurance. Other notes: Several buckets of water were used on the fire, no stream.
Barn Fire, 171 E Pottsville St (Box 23-1)

Auto Alarm, Rattling Creek Apts (Box 22-13)

Accident w/injuries, 239 Main Street (Box 22-19)

Medical Assist, 611 Market Street (Box 22-1)
Detail >>
Company 22 was dispatched to 611 Market Street for a cardiac arrest call. Engine 22 responded and assisted EMS with CPR and packaging of the patient for transport.
Smoke in a Structure, Kocher Lane (Box 21-5)
Detail >>
Truck-22 and Engine-22 were dispatched to Kocher Lane in Washington Township for a report of smoke in a structure. Truck-22 responded with a crew of seven and was canceled shortly after response. Chief-21 confirmed that the smoke was exhaust from a bus parked in a driveway.
Cardiac Arrest AED Response, 119 Main Street (Box 22-1)
Detail >>
Company 22 dispatched class one to 119 Main Street in Lykens for a medical assist cardiac arrest AED response. Chiefs 22 and 22-1 and Captain 22 responded POV to the scene. Utility 22 went enroute with 3 and Truck 22 with 5. On arrival the crew found Lykens PD on scene declaring a signal 12. The members remained on scene to assist the coroners office until released by Command.
Rekindle, 187 North Crossroads Rd (Box 27-4)
Detail >>
Truck 22 dispatched class one to 187 North Crossroads Road in Lykens Township for a rekindle of the previous nights fire. Chief 27 held the box to just his company placing everyone else in service.
Other Local Incidents (see Note 2)Hide

There are no incidents recorded in our database for this date.
Other Noteworthy Incidents/Events (see Note 3)Hide

Bombay Fire - Bombay, India

Wisconsin State Capitol Building Fire - Madison, WI
Detail >>
On February 27, 1904, the Wisconsin State Capitol building was destroyed by fire. A gas jet in a closet on the second floor set fire to the varnished wood-work at about 2:30 a.m. Madison firefighters, with the help of two Milwaukee companies, fought the blaze for 18 hours. Governor La Follette directed the saving of documents, correspondence files, and the law library. Lost to the flames were the Grand Army records and the stuffed form of "Old Abe", Wisconsin's Civil War Eagle. During the fire, Fire Chief Charles Bernard was overcome by smoke and fell from a ladder. He was seriously injured, but no one died in the fire. The loss was estimated at around one million dollars.
Reichstag Fire - Berlin, Germany
Detail >>
On February 27, 1933, a pivotal event in the establishment of Nazi Germany occurred when the Nazis set fire to German parliament building and blamed it on Communists. At 10 p.m. on February 27, 1933, the Berlin Fire Department responded to the fire, but despite their best efforts, the building was gutted by the blaze. The fire was not put out until 11:30 p.m. Firemen and policemen inspected the ruins and found twenty bundles of flammable material, unburned, laying about. Adolf Hitler, Joseph Goebbels, Vice-Chancellor Franz von Papen, and Prince Heinrich G?nther von Hohenzollern were taken by car to the Reichstag where they were met by Hermann G?ring. G?ring blamed the fire on the communists. Hitler claimed the fire was a signal of the beginning of a communist coup. The day after the fire, Hitler asked for and received, from President Hindenburg, the Reichstag Fire Decree, which suspended most civil liberties and banned the Communist Party in Germany on March 1st on the grounds that they were preparing a coup. Without the influence of the communist's votes, several days later in the Reichstag elections, the Nazis increased their share of the vote. With the support of the German National People's Party and capitalizing on national security concerns, on March 23rd an enabling act was passed, granting Chancellor Hitler the right to rule by decree. That is how Adolf Hitler obtained his dictatorial powers.
Borley Rectory Fire - Borley, Essex, England
Detail >>
One of the world's most famous haunted houses burned on February 27, 1939. The Borley Rectory, was a deteriorating house in Borley, Essex, in a remote area near the east coast of England. It was built in 1862 by the Reverend Henry Dawson Ellis Bull, near the Borley church after he became rector of the parish. The house was eventually enlarged to house a family of 14 children. Over the years, the Bulls were frequently visited by unexplained noises, ringing servant bells, footsteps, and the appearance of ghosts, specifically one of a nun. Harry Bull inherited the rectory after his father died in 1892. He stayed on as parson until his death in 1927. Reverend Guy Smith, Harry's successor, was not only plagued by the ghosts, but also the house?s deteriorating condition. He left after only one year of occupancy. He was replaced by the Reverend Lionel Foyster. The paranormal activity in the house increased during Foyster's stay. It was reported that people were locked out of rooms, household items vanished, windows were broken, furniture was moved, and odd sounds were heard. Mrs. Foyster was thrown from her bed at night, slapped by invisible hands, forced to dodge heavy objects which flew at her all the time. The Foysters moved out of the house in 1935, and Harry Price leased it to do an investigation for a newspaper. He hired 40 people for a one-year round-the-clock investigation and he wrote the first ever handbook on how to conduct a paranormal investigation. During a s?ance, a spirit named Marie Lairre visited. She told that she had been a nun in France but left her convent to go to England to marry Henry Waldegrave, whose home once stood on the site of Borley Rectory. She said her husband murdered her in 1667 and buried her in the cellar. Five months after the visit by Marie, on March 27, 1938, another spirit by the name of "Sunex Amures" warned that he would burn down the rectory at 9 o'clock that night and proof of the nun?s murder would be found in the ruins. The house did not burn down that night. But, on February 27, 1939, as the new owner, Captain W.H. Gregson, was unpacking books in the library, an oil lamp overturned in the hallway and started a fire. The blaze quickly spread and the interior of the rectory was gutted. Harry Price returned to the scene and did some excavating. In the cellar of the house he discovered a few bones, which turned out to be that of a young woman, along with a medal of Saint Ignatius. He concluded that this was evidence that there was truth to the story of the murdered nun. The bones later received a Christian burial in the village of Liston, near the rectory. This, was thought, would provide the ghost with the rest she had long sought. But that wasn't the end of the story. The remains of the rectory were demolished in 1944. LIFE magazine published a photo that was taken during the demolition. In it is what appears to be a floating brick. Some people think it was suspended by the spirits that occupied the rectory. Others think it was thrown from a worker and caught in mid flight by the LIFE photographer. Harry Price died in 1948. Investigations into the Borley Rectory revealed that much of the phenomena were either faked or were due to natural causes such as rats and the strange acoustics due to the odd shape of the house. Harry Price was also exposed to be a cynical confidence trickster who supplemented his income as a paper-bag salesman by posing as an expert in Psychic matters.
Smith Mine Explosion - Bearcreek, MT
Detail >>
At 9:37 a.m. on Saturday, February 27, 1943, a huge explosion occurred in the Smith Mine #3, a coal mine of the Montana Coal and Iron Company, between Washoe and Bearcreek, Montana. Because it was Saturday, only a light crew of 77 men were in the mine. Of those, only three escaped. 74 of them were killed, either as a direct result of the explosion or from suffocation. The cause of the explosion is thought to have been from a cave-in igniting pockets of methane gas. Virtually every household in Washoe and Bearcreek was touched by this tragedy. The mine never reopened. It is the worst mining disaster in the history of Montana.
Telephone Exchange Fire - New York, NY
Detail >>
The New York City Telephone Exchange fire occurred on February 27, 1975. It happened at the New York Telephone Company Building at 13th Street and Second Avenue. The 11-story building was used as a main switching center to connect telephone lines with trunk lines, serving 173,000 telephones in lower Manhattan. Cables entered the building in a 20 ft. x 20 ft. x 278 ft. cable vault in the basement. The main distribution frame was on the first floor above the cable vault. The subscriber distribution frame was on the third floor. Shortly after midnight on February 27th, a short circuit or open splice arc started a fire in the cable vault. Smoke was discovered in the subscriber distribution frame. A call to the fire department failed because of the damaged phone lines. The fire department was notified by an employee transmitting the alarm from a call box in the street. The alarm was received at 12:55 a.m. The fire department found heavy smoke in the basement and light smoke throughout the rest of the building. They were prevented from finding the exact location of the fire because of the smoke and difficult accessibility of the cable vault. Fire spread from the cable vault to the first floor through a six inch slot into the main distribution frame. Fire spread to the second floor and parts of the upper floors by burning cables in the cable chases and floor openings. The third floor was vacant, which prevented more fire from damaging upper floors. The burning PVC cables acidic gases and smoke that drove firefighters from the building. More than 300 firefighters intermittently worked at the fire. They tried using high expansion foam in the cable vault, but it drained into the sub-basement. They used water and had the fire under control at 3:40 a.m. But, it reignited twenty minutes later. They jerry rigged a cellar pipe to use in the cable vault. They continued fighting the fire until it was declared under control at 4:46 p.m. Most of the cables and equipment on the first two floors were destroyed and there was smoke and corrosion damage throughout the rest of the building, including the eleventh floor. Damaged concrete floors were replaced on the first and second floors, 66 miles of cables were replaced, ten million electromechanical relays were cleaned manually with hand brushes. The cleanup and equipment replacement was accomplished in one month, by the work of 4,000 people.
Superferry 14 Fire - Manila Bay, near Bataan Island, Philippines
Detail >>
On February 27, 2004, the 510-foot long Superferry 14 was carrying 744 passengers and a crew of 155 on an overnight journey from Manila to Bacolod. The Superferry 14 had air-conditioned staterooms, and was one of the more luxurious ways to travel among Phillipean islands. Most passengers had settled in for the night when an a powerful explosion started a fire onboard the ship. The fire broke out near Corregidor Island, about 45 miles southwest of Manila, nearly two hours after the ferry left port. Most of the passengers and the entire crew jumped into Manila Bay near Bataan Island. The rescue operation included air force helicopters, six coast guard ships, four navy vessels, five tugboats, five commercial vessels, and a number of fishing boats. Twice, the fire appeared to be out, only to rekindle. Shortly after dawn, more than five hours after the blaze erupted, two loud, successive explosions inside the back section of the ferry were followed by billowing black smoke and walls of flames. More than 750 people were rescued, some with severe burns. Three people were killed and 131 people were missing. The Muslim extremist group Abu Sayyafal - an al-Qaeda-linked group - claimed that a suicide bomber aboard the ship had caused the fire. But, the government said it found no trace of explosives. However, the coast guard confirmed that a man identified by Abu Sayyafal as the bomber was among the missing, and officials have not ruled out terrorism.

ControlCurrent View Mode:  Verbose View,  Ascending Dates,  No Filters

Viewing Mode
Verbose View
List View

Ascending Date
Descending Date
Type Filter
Natural Event
Historic Date

Location Filter

Choose a viewing method and/or select any filters to exclude those items from your selection.

(Leave all filters un-checked to view all items)


Use the menu below to select another date.

Note:Although functional, these pages are still having information added.

Click on a day of a month to view the incidents for that day.
January1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
February1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
28 29
March1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
April1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
May1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
June1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
July1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
August1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
September1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
October1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
November1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
December1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
<< Previous DayNext Day >>


1.The section of calls we've responded to has been compiled from fire company records, newspapers, and other sources. Listings for years prior to 1981 might be incomplete.
2.The listing of local incidents is for incidents that happened around our local area, including some from Lykens for which the fire company was not dispatched. It is certainly not a complete listing, and is not intended to be. It is included here for your entertainment. Incidents listed here have been gathered from public sources.
3.The listing of other noteworthy incidents includes incidents from anywhere outside our local area (for which we were not dispatched). Also included in this section are historical events from our fire company, Lykens, or around the world. It is certainly not a complete listing, and is not intended to be. It is included here for your entertainment. Incidents and events listed here have been gathered from public sources.
4.These lists can be filtered. Use the control section above to activate or de-activate filtering. Filtering will not affect the list of incidents we've responded to. But, it will be applied to both the other lists.

 Copyright © 2004 -2024  Liberty Hose Company No. 2.   All rights reserved.  |  Legal  |  About Our Site  |